About First Presbyterian Church of New Braunfels
In 1929, Medardo Muñoz and his family moved to New Braunfels and began working at gathering a Presbyterian congregation inthe city. On March 8, 1931, the church officially became Iglesia Presbiteriana de New Braunfels with eighteen charter members and twelve children. In December of 1939 the church was meeting at Mission Bautista at Milltown. Since the Baptists used the building at 11:00, the Presbyterians gathered at 2:00 P.M. In 1941, a city lot at the corner of Hackberry and Mill Street was purchased for $125.00 and the people worked together to build a church building there by March 1942.
By the mid 1950’s, the building had grown too small and was in need of repairs. The church purchased property on the corner of IH 35 S. and Krueger and built a new church structure under the leadership of the Rev. Jose F. Martinez. The dedication service was held in April 1958 and the congregation has been meeting in this facility since then, almost 57 years.
Following the sale to the City of New Braunfels of the Westside Community Center including the land on which the church building was already built, First Presbyterian Church purchased property on South Walnut for construction of a new building and dedicated the facility in September 2015.
Today, Jose Munoz is the pastor of First Presbyterian Church of New Braunfels. Jose’ was a bilingual teacher in NBISD for 32 years. He received his BA in Education from Southwest Texas State University. He has been active in many volunteer programs including the Rotary Club, he has served on the board of the Community Council of South Central Texas and is currently on the TIPHER Board. Jose is also on the Family Promise Board and Congregation Relations Committee.